EAST AND WEST “: CLASH OF STEREOTYPES
Study trip to Sarajevo, Central Bosnia and Herzegovina
Česká verze ZDE
DATE: Preliminary 29.10-4. 11.
PLANNED ROUTE BY DAY:
- Early departure from Prague, evening arrival in Bosnia;
- Central Bosnia, visiting historic towns and monasteries (including a meeting with a monk); evening arrival to Sarajevo
- Sarajevo and its surroundings: a historical tour
- Half-day seminar with students of theology and political science
- Meeting with selected personalities of Islamic social life
- Guided hike in the mountains
- Return via Mostar (meeting with a local activist); accommodation by the sea in Croatia
- Evening arrival to Prague
Transport in a hired van; Accommodation in rented apartment, evt. in the monastery. Meals: in cheap fast food and restaurants.
approximately 3000 CZK for transport and accommodation; self-catering.
Food prices are lower than in the Czech Republic (except for beer).
– Getting acquainted with a multicultural society through visiting historical places and mountains with a guide and through intense social contact`
– Seminar with students of theology and political science on Islam and Europe
– Informal debates with representatives of religious and cultural institutions; the Islamic Youth Movement; of Catholic dissidents
– Preparation for the Transformation of Islam course
TOPIC: “East and West”: Conflict of Stereotypes. The way we perceive “Islam” and “they” the West. What is for “us” the periphery of Europe and for them “Europe and the EU. Can they both criticize and acknowledge one another? Different perspectives on the same issues can be perceived. Debates with students of the Islamic faculty and political science.
PARTICIPATION: selected 8 participants
– good command of English
– participation in the preparatory meeting in October
– reading up: each participant will receive two articles or two chapters (about Bosnia’s history, war, current situation, Islam, Sufism, Islam, etc.) to read and present during the meeting
– formulating a brief argumentation on the above topic during the preparatory meeting
FOR THOSE INTERESTED:
Selection will be based on motivation and interest, expressed in a very short essay on the above topic (eg. by mentioning reading, study, planned seminar, diploma on a given topic, etc.)
APPLICATIONS Send a mini-essay to ¾ pages plus a paragraph about yourself (total max. 1 page) to email: email@example.com
ORGANIZER: Zora Hesová, Institute of Political Science, Charles University. More info at convivio.cz.
REPORT FROM PREVIOUS JOURNEY with theology students in September 2016 in CZ: http://convivio.cz/en/adam-borzic-buh-a-lide-na-bosenske-ceste/