Islam and democracy
26 January 2012
Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic, Prague
organized by PSSI
• Jiří Schneider, First Deputy Minister of Foreign Affairs of the Czech Republic
• Pierre Lévy, Ambassador Extraordinary and Plenipotentiary, Embassy of the French Republic
• Norman L. Eisen, Ambassador of the United States to the Czech Republic
9.30–11.15 Panel I: Political Islam and its strategy
• What does political Islam mean?
• What is the long-term political project of Islam, its vision and grand strategy?
• What is the meaning of “Islamic democracy”?
• Is Islamism compatible with civil liberties?
• Is political Islam for Sharia an exclusive source of law?
Cengiz Günay, Senior Fellow, Austrian Institute for International Affairs, Austria
Corinna Mullin, Lecturer in Middle East Politics, School of Oriental and African Studies, UK
Larbi Sadiki, Professor at University of Exeter
Ashraf Nabih el Sherif, Professor of Political Science at American University in Cairo, Egypt
Chair: Jiří Ellinger, Director of the Middle East and North Africa Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, the Czech Republic
11.30–13.15 Panel II: Political Islam and the Arab spring
• How do Islamist parties shape political systems in Egypt and Tunisia?
• Will the Islamists prefer to be pragmatic or populist actors?
• What are the existing trends within the Islamic movements in Egypt and Tunisia?
• How do the Islamists in Egypt and Tunisia interact with other political actors?
• How the Islamic movements in Egypt and Tunisia were changed by the latest development?
• Which major players will be the most relevant for further
political development in Egypt and Tunisia?
Bruno Aubert, Senior Advisor at the Policy Planning Department, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, France
Zora Hesová, Analyst, Association for International Affairs, Czech Republic
Mohamed Kerrou, Professor of Political Science at University Tunis El Menar, Tunisia
Stéphane Lacroix, Assistant Professor of Political Science, Sciences Po, France
Chair: Irena Kalhousova, Chief Analyst, Prague Security Studies Institute, Czech Republic